Diana Hobo – Free Pattern

Gosh, wouldn’t it be great if I could do a ‘free pattern Friday’ every Friday?

So Anna Maria Horner just released a new purse pattern that reminds me a lot of my new free pattern just without straps! I thought I’d show it to y’all because it seems easy enough to make a few small modifications to my pattern to emulate her new clutch!

So remember this purse and my promise to give you a free pattern?

Diana Hobo Bag

Download the Pattern on 11×17 Format

Download the Pattern on 8.5×11 Format

If/when you do make a bag from my pattern, please post it in the flickr group! http://www.flickr.com/groups/dianahobo/

Diana Hobo

Also this should go without being said but I’ll say it anyways: please do not sell items made from this free pattern and do not claim it as your own design!

Comments

1. says

Ok, this is totally awesome!! I love this design and will definitely make it! Not sure how soon but I will give it a try.

Thanks for sharing! I’ll let you know how it turns out when I am able to make it.

Where do you find your material? Where do you like to shop for it?

2. says

Oooh I’m excited that the pattern is ready! I’ll test it! I have a conference coming up in a week that I’m preparing for now, but in two weeks, I should be able to start. Yay!

3. Elizabeth says

Elizabeth – I find material at a variety of places, mostly online at Etsy. There are a couple stores in Austin that sell some good fabrics but sadly, my favorite is going out of business. There are the standards, like Joannes, Hancocks and Hobby Lobby, and then there are stores like Craftorama (going out of business) and others like it. I just got a bunch of great fabric on craigslist so that’s a good options too! Hope this helps!

Jenn – Thanks for volunteering to try it out! I know it probably needs some editing. . .

4. says

Hi I love the hobo bag and would like to sew it up. The directions are easy to follow. If you would add the measurements of the pieces it would be very easy to cut and sew, no printing hassles.

Anne

• Elizabeth says

Thanks Anne for the comment – as I’m making revisions to the pattern in the next couple of weeks, I will be sure to include the measurements!

5. Lynn says

I am anxious to make this bag but, like others, cannot print the pattern on my printer. Can you quickly give us the dimensions to all the pieces. This would be easier for me as I prefer to cut with a rotary cutter vs a paper pattern.

Lynn

• Elizabeth says

My apologies Lynn – I don’t think I’ll be getting to this anytime soon as the program I used to create the program is at work and I am currently on maternity leave without access to the program. I’ll see if I can figure out a workaround to get you guys some dimensions, but I’m not promising anything in the near future. I have a new baby that’s demanding my attention right now! :) Hope you understand!

6. says

I just made one! woot woot! My first ever bag/purse. I also wanted to print it at home and since I don’t think I had enough fabric for the large one I just made a smaller one. In Print Preview you can reduce the size of what you want to print or you should see something that says “shrink to fit” and that’s what I did. I ended up with a small bag which is good for my first try. I got lost on the instructions though, I am used to a lot of pics. I didn’t know what basting is so I pleated by hand and it’s not perfect. Also, I didn’t quite understand some of the steps so when I was done my 4inch opening was on the front where now I realize it should have been inside. But overall this was super fun and easy!

Adding my pics to the Flickr set now. :)

7. Rita Shores says

I own the Acrobat program version 8. I am able to print large pages by using the Tile Pages option. So your 3 pages of large sized patterns I now have on 6 pages of patterns on 8½ by 11″ paper.

If you write to me, I can email you the 9-pages pdf file with your 3 pages of instructions, and 6 pages of standard sized patterns that can be taped together.

8. says

I must be super slow, because I DO have a question about the directions. I’m spatial-relations challenged, so maybe if there was a picture at Step 14, I’d be ok! But, I’m confused on how to attach the inner yoke to the interior. Is the interior wrong or right side out? I’m having trouble visualizing this… help, please!!

9. Alisha says

My cousin and i are new to sewing but decided to grab the bull by the horns and go for it! We love your bag!
    We have made it to step 14, but are having issues… Our interior is much larger around than our yoke. Did we miss something or do something wrong? Thanks for your help!
    Raiderevans@sbcglobal.net

• says

Hmm, try and measure the interior to the pattern piece again and make sure it wasn’t cut too big. There is a possibility that your seam allowance was too big when you were sewing the yoke, making it smaller than intended, but if that’s the case, just cut the interior down to match the yoke – it shouldn’t be too big of a problem! Good luck!

10. MrsDIY says

I am also new to sewing & I am confused by Step 14. I think I have the yoke attached to the interior (w/ the yoke completely on the outside of the interior, sewed around the top) but I don’t know if that is correct, nor can I figure out how to attach the exterior. I assume this is due to me being a novice, but would be able to elaborate on Step 14 &/or post some pictures to help? Thanks so much!! I am very excited to complete my first bag thanks to your pattern!

• says

There are four yoke pieces total – two that attach to the interior and two that attach to the exterior. Is this what you have? When you attached the interior to the exterior, the interior/exterior yoke pieces will be right sides together, where you leave a gap to pull the bag right side out.

I’m sorry I don’t have any pictures of this step and don’t have any plans to make more of these bags to be able to take a picture soon!

11. Pat Hutch says

HI there, I would also like to ask any of you that have made the bag what the measurements are on their bag pattern – mine looks rather small. Also some pics of how to attach the yoke would be super helpful. 😉

Thanks in advance!

😉

12. Sheri says

Hi
    My 9 yr old daughter wants to make a bag for school this year. She has seen the Amy Butler Birdie Sling that I have made, but I told her she will get lost in it. So, we found your pattern and are going to make it. I am going to try and modify it to a single strap. Have you ever tried that with this pattern. I am going to attach it on each end like the Birdie Sling.

13. Carla Jasso says

Hi thank you very much for this pattern, I’m gonna use it for a chrsimas gift but… in which paper dimensions should I print it?

Trackbacks