Diana Hobo – Free Pattern

Gosh, wouldn’t it be great if I could do a ‘free pattern Friday’ every Friday?

So Anna Maria Horner just released a new purse pattern that reminds me a lot of my new free pattern just without straps! I thought I’d show it to y’all because it seems easy enough to make a few small modifications to my pattern to emulate her new clutch!

So remember this purse and my promise to give you a free pattern?

Diana Hobo Bag

Download the Pattern on 11×17 Format

Download the Pattern on 8.5×11 Format

If/when you do make a bag from my pattern, please post it in the flickr group! http://www.flickr.com/groups/dianahobo/

Diana Hobo

Also this should go without being said but I’ll say it anyways: please do not sell items made from this free pattern and do not claim it as your own design!

75 Comments Diana Hobo – Free Pattern

1. Elizabeth February 20, 2009 at 10:53 am

Ok, this is totally awesome!! I love this design and will definitely make it! Not sure how soon but I will give it a try.

Thanks for sharing! I’ll let you know how it turns out when I am able to make it.

Where do you find your material? Where do you like to shop for it?

2. Jennifer February 20, 2009 at 12:33 pm

Oooh I’m excited that the pattern is ready! I’ll test it! I have a conference coming up in a week that I’m preparing for now, but in two weeks, I should be able to start. Yay!

3. Elizabeth February 20, 2009 at 1:46 pm

Elizabeth – I find material at a variety of places, mostly online at Etsy. There are a couple stores in Austin that sell some good fabrics but sadly, my favorite is going out of business. There are the standards, like Joannes, Hancocks and Hobby Lobby, and then there are stores like Craftorama (going out of business) and others like it. I just got a bunch of great fabric on craigslist so that’s a good options too! Hope this helps!

Jenn – Thanks for volunteering to try it out! I know it probably needs some editing. . .

4. Pingback: Work The Cube » Blog Archive » How to solve a Rubik’s Cube (Part One)

5. Pingback: Sew a hobo-stye purse with this free pattern · Sewing @ CraftGossip

6. Jaime February 26, 2009 at 4:29 am

Oh my gosh, your purse is so cool! Woo hoo, I know what I’m doin’ tomorrow. Thank you so much!

7. steph March 12, 2009 at 10:47 am

Hi Elizabeth – I follow your blog and love your new pattern! I have bought my fabric, but now can’t seem to get the pattern pieces printed at home as my printer will not allow me to put 11 x 17inch paper in it… any suggestions on how to print the pattern?

Thanks!

Stephanie

stephanie.harrell@gmail.com

8. jessica March 31, 2009 at 11:45 am

i dont see the pattern. where can i find it?

9. jessica March 31, 2009 at 3:04 pm

ok nevermind, i found it :)

10. anne gray April 22, 2009 at 1:19 pm

Hi I love the hobo bag and would like to sew it up. The directions are easy to follow. If you would add the measurements of the pieces it would be very easy to cut and sew, no printing hassles.

Anne

1. Elizabeth April 22, 2009 at 1:30 pm

Thanks Anne for the comment – as I’m making revisions to the pattern in the next couple of weeks, I will be sure to include the measurements!

11. Lynn June 28, 2009 at 7:07 pm

I am anxious to make this bag but, like others, cannot print the pattern on my printer. Can you quickly give us the dimensions to all the pieces. This would be easier for me as I prefer to cut with a rotary cutter vs a paper pattern.

Lynn

1. Elizabeth June 29, 2009 at 10:46 am

My apologies Lynn – I don’t think I’ll be getting to this anytime soon as the program I used to create the program is at work and I am currently on maternity leave without access to the program. I’ll see if I can figure out a workaround to get you guys some dimensions, but I’m not promising anything in the near future. I have a new baby that’s demanding my attention right now! :) Hope you understand!

12. Pingback: 45 Awesome Free Bag Making Tutorials | frugalandthriving.com.au

13. Khris October 8, 2009 at 7:21 am

Thanks for sharing the pattern..I have put a link to you on my freebies blog…Khris

14. Julie October 29, 2009 at 1:25 pm

I just made one! woot woot! My first ever bag/purse. I also wanted to print it at home and since I don’t think I had enough fabric for the large one I just made a smaller one. In Print Preview you can reduce the size of what you want to print or you should see something that says “shrink to fit” and that’s what I did. I ended up with a small bag which is good for my first try. I got lost on the instructions though, I am used to a lot of pics. I didn’t know what basting is so I pleated by hand and it’s not perfect. Also, I didn’t quite understand some of the steps so when I was done my 4inch opening was on the front where now I realize it should have been inside. But overall this was super fun and easy!

Adding my pics to the Flickr set now. :)

15. Rita Shores November 25, 2009 at 12:50 pm

I own the Acrobat program version 8. I am able to print large pages by using the Tile Pages option. So your 3 pages of large sized patterns I now have on 6 pages of patterns on 8½ by 11″ paper.

If you write to me, I can email you the 9-pages pdf file with your 3 pages of instructions, and 6 pages of standard sized patterns that can be taped together.

1. Elizabeth January 11, 2010 at 10:36 pm

Thank you so much! I’m glad you enjoyed the pattern – your purse turned out great!

16. Pingback: Want to make: Totes, Clutches, Purses, Bags etc? « J. Bailey's Handmade Fashion Blog

17. Pingback: Bag Tutorials. « mommy's playroom

18. Pingback: Links for bags « Knightly Knitter

19. Pingback: Saturday’s Pattern Sharing 2/19/11 « Stitch To Stitch

20. Pingback: Perfect mid-sized purse « Random Creativity

21. Lindsey April 29, 2011 at 12:14 am

Thanks, it’s a lovely bag and beautiful fabric choice. Thanks for the inspiration! x

22. Pingback: Croitorie: Tipare genti 6 — handmade

23. Michelle June 30, 2011 at 5:16 am

Hello, I can’t get your pattern link to work. I tried both formats. Thank you in advance for the help.

24. Regena June 30, 2011 at 11:43 am

I can’t seem to get the 8.5 x 11 link to work. would love to try your pattern out. Thanks

25. Pat June 30, 2011 at 5:30 pm

Beautiful bag Liz. I found your link through Pleasant Home. Thanks for sharing your talents with us.

26. Pingback: Diana Hobo Bag Pattern | Patterns for Bags

27. Pingback: This Post is NOT About Shopping! | A Nest in the Making

28. Pingback: Nesting Crafts « Those Crafty Beadles

29. Pingback: Free Pattern Features: Totes + Winner | Craft Buds

30. Pingback: The World Surrounding Me » Blog Archive » Stitchable Gifts (sewing tutorials)

31. Vera Santa October 22, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Adorei a bolsa, gostaria de fazer uma prá mim!Beijos…!

32. Pingback: Diana Hobo | Free Purse, Bag & Tote Patterns and Tutorials

33. Pingback: Free Sewing Patterns and Tutorials | Everyday Beautiful

34. HollowSquirrel November 19, 2011 at 4:28 pm

I must be super slow, because I DO have a question about the directions. I’m spatial-relations challenged, so maybe if there was a picture at Step 14, I’d be ok! But, I’m confused on how to attach the inner yoke to the interior. Is the interior wrong or right side out? I’m having trouble visualizing this… help, please!!

1. Elizabeth November 21, 2011 at 7:55 am

You place the yoke and the interior right sides together, so you will see the wrong side out on both the yoke and the interior.

35. Tora February 9, 2012 at 9:26 am

Thank you for this free pattern for this cool purse – it´s awesome :)

36. Alisha February 21, 2012 at 9:38 pm

My cousin and i are new to sewing but decided to grab the bull by the horns and go for it! We love your bag!
    We have made it to step 14, but are having issues… Our interior is much larger around than our yoke. Did we miss something or do something wrong? Thanks for your help!
    Raiderevans@sbcglobal.net

1. Elizabeth February 22, 2012 at 11:06 am

Hmm, try and measure the interior to the pattern piece again and make sure it wasn’t cut too big. There is a possibility that your seam allowance was too big when you were sewing the yoke, making it smaller than intended, but if that’s the case, just cut the interior down to match the yoke – it shouldn’t be too big of a problem! Good luck!

37. Pingback: Craft Blog / National Craft Month Kickoff: A Collection of Spring Must Makes by COLOURlovers :: COLOURlovers

38. MrsDIY March 6, 2012 at 5:13 pm

I am also new to sewing & I am confused by Step 14. I think I have the yoke attached to the interior (w/ the yoke completely on the outside of the interior, sewed around the top) but I don’t know if that is correct, nor can I figure out how to attach the exterior. I assume this is due to me being a novice, but would be able to elaborate on Step 14 &/or post some pictures to help? Thanks so much!! I am very excited to complete my first bag thanks to your pattern!

1. Elizabeth March 18, 2012 at 3:58 pm

There are four yoke pieces total – two that attach to the interior and two that attach to the exterior. Is this what you have? When you attached the interior to the exterior, the interior/exterior yoke pieces will be right sides together, where you leave a gap to pull the bag right side out.

I’m sorry I don’t have any pictures of this step and don’t have any plans to make more of these bags to be able to take a picture soon!

39. Anna Fox March 11, 2012 at 5:13 am

Im a beginner sewer and just finished making this bag and found the tutorial very easy to follow

40. jud March 29, 2012 at 6:52 am

Hi could anyone help me with the exact sizes of the pattern pieces as I’m confused !!
    thanks
    jud

41. Pat Hutch May 10, 2012 at 5:01 pm

HI there, I would also like to ask any of you that have made the bag what the measurements are on their bag pattern – mine looks rather small. Also some pics of how to attach the yoke would be super helpful. 😉

Thanks in advance!

😉

1. Elizabeth May 15, 2012 at 1:43 pm

The bag is 14″x15″. Next time I make one I will take some pictures of how to attached the yoke!

42. Pingback: 10 of the Best: Tote Bags

43. Michelle May 18, 2012 at 11:19 pm

Can you send me then pattern for the boho bag?

1. Elizabeth May 21, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Hi Michelle. The link is easily downloaded in the post above. Right click and save-as to where you would like it to show up. Enjoy!

44. Sheri August 4, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Hi
    My 9 yr old daughter wants to make a bag for school this year. She has seen the Amy Butler Birdie Sling that I have made, but I told her she will get lost in it. So, we found your pattern and are going to make it. I am going to try and modify it to a single strap. Have you ever tried that with this pattern. I am going to attach it on each end like the Birdie Sling.

1. Elizabeth August 4, 2012 at 6:23 pm

I don’t see why that wouldn’t work! Make sure to reinforce it sufficiently and I think it should be fine!

45. Pingback: Stacy Sews - Diary of a Fabric Junkie » Blog Archive » Linky Thursday

46. Alicia September 27, 2012 at 1:10 am

Hi! Could you give approximate finished dimensions of this bag? Thanks!

1. Elizabeth September 27, 2012 at 8:18 am

It’s about 14″x15″.

1. Alicia October 2, 2012 at 12:51 am

Thank you! Making it this week.

47. Carla Jasso December 13, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Hi thank you very much for this pattern, I’m gonna use it for a chrsimas gift but… in which paper dimensions should I print it?

48. Pingback: Sew The Diana Hobo Bag - Free Sewing ePattern

49. danielle March 16, 2013 at 3:23 pm

such a cute bag!!

50. Janette Koisen January 24, 2014 at 5:47 am

nice bag, I want to make this

51. Pingback: Diana Hobo @Love-To-Sew.com

52. Pingback: Futuros proyectos costuriles | wacapaka

53. Pingback: Bolsa de Diana Hobo com molde e mais sugestões | My great WordPress blog

54. Pingback: Bolsa de Diana Hobo com molde e mais sugestões | Arte com Tecidos

55. Kaven Kan August 8, 2014 at 1:04 am

love love it!

56. Jacki October 3, 2014 at 4:24 pm

Hello, I really would like to give this a whirl, but I am a metric baby and don’t understand the two sizes of the PDF files you have provided – i must sound like a complete twit… – could I have the dimensions of the pattern pieces, and then i can convert those to metric? I have an ordinary printer that uses A4 paper. Thank you.

57. Corrie Conradie March 22, 2015 at 1:59 pm

I. love these handbags :-):-)

58. Corrie Conradie March 22, 2015 at 2:06 pm

I will also make this beautifull bag !!

59. Zeens and Roger July 2, 2015 at 1:08 am

I just made this and I love it. Thank you so much!