Sound like a recipe for a marinade? Not in this household. At least not right now.

I have been sick for about a week now which is crazy, because I don’t get sick often. First I had a really mild case of mastitis. No good. And the second round of sickness – sinus infection. Since I’m still nursing, I am hesitant about using antibiotics since they get passed on to Jude. I don’t want to have him exposed to antibiotics before he really needs them.

Enter the ingredients in the title of the post. Garlic, salt, lemon, ginger, honey and apple cider vinegar. I have been turning to these things to try and go the natural way of getting better. So what do each of these things do?

Garlic RemedyRaw garlic actually has a compound called allicin that works as a broad spectrum antibiotic. You have to take it for several days in order to get the full effect, much like you would a prescribed antibiotic. The compound is very heat sensitive, so when I take it, I peel whole cloves and then cut them up into pill sized pieces, swallowed them whole using a big glass of orange juice to mask the flavor. The good thing about garlic is that your body will not build up a resistance to it, as it will with other medicines. This worked a miracle on the mastitis that I had. I woke up feeling fine the next day! I have also heard that garlic oil can help with ear infections. Thankfully we haven’t had any of those around here, but I’m logging that tip away for the future.

Neti PotSalt. Actually, I mean, the neti pot, which involves salt water. I’ve known about these for awhile, but haven’t invested in one because I haven’t had sinus problems since before I was pregnant! For around $8, you can pick up a dishwasher safe, plastic version of the neti pot. There are ceramic versions out there but they aren’t dishwasher safe. . . and convenience is an issue for us. OK, so what is it? You fill it with lightly salted warm water (in my case, it came with packets) and use it to irrigate your sinuses by pouring it in one nostril and letting it drain out the other. It sounds weird, kinda like you would drown, but you breath through your mouth during this process and it just works. The saline helps make an inhospitable environment for bacteria and viruses to grow, the warm water helps remove excess mucus and remove any irritants (like pollen or dust), so you can breath easier!

Ginger, Honey and Lemon TeaLemon, ginger and honey. This has been a great tea for me. I boil water, chop up some fresh ginger and let it steep for a while – 15 to 20 minutes. Once that’s done, I pour it into a coffee mug with the juice from one lemon and a couple good squeezes of local honey. It’s tasty, a bit spicy and the steam helps clear your head a bit. Good stuff. I should probably go make another pot of that now! The lemon has lots of vitamin C and ginger and honey also help boost the immune system. I think it would be good even when you’re not sick – the ginger can help sooth an upset stomach as well. Ginger helped eased my nausea when I was in the first trimester of pregnancy.

Apple Cider Vinegar RemedyAnd apple cider vinegar – it seems to do everything, doesn’t it? I’ve been drinking a couple tablespoons of this stuff in a glass of water for the past week or so. Not tasty, but it seems to help! It helps thin out the mucus so that you can get better quicker. Apparently, this works best if you start taking it right when you think you might be getting sick, sipping a couple teaspoons (not tablespoons) in glasses of water throughout the day, but it can help if you take tablespoons of it in water during the infection as well.

Now, I know that natural remedies aren’t the best for everything – sometimes you really do need medicine to get better! My thought process is that I should go ahead and try some simple home remedies first because none of these things could hurt me, and then if necessary, get the antibiotics later on! It’s cheaper, for one, and it reduces the possibility of being over-medicated.

What about you guys, do you have any home remedies that work well for you?

20 Responses to garlic, salt, lemon, ginger, honey and apple cider vinegar

1. Darlys says:

I’m coming down with something too…I’ll have to test out some of your methods! I guess if I’m sick it’s okay if I have garlic breath for a few days. :) And ps, your teapot in the background of your second to last picture is PRETTY! I love it.

• Elizabeth says:

Well, I hope that some of these methods help you feel better soon!

The teapot was my birthday gift from Jason this year – I love it! I use it all the time.

2. Nikki says:

Hey Liz,
    My husband Josh works at TBG in San Antonio, and he found your blog and turned me onto it. I’ve really enjoyed reading it!

I have a great home remedy for sore throats: 1/4 cup honey and 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar. Mix together until combined. Gargle about a tablespoon and either swallow or spit it out. Do it every 4 or 5 hours. It’s strong the first couple of times you do it, and will sting like crazy at first, but it’s not too bad once you get used to it. Start it as soon as you feel a sore throat coming on and within a day or two it should be gone.

• Elizabeth says:

Hi Nikki! Small world! It’s funny that I’ve met some LAs through the blog that I wouldn’t have otherwise known in real life!

I will certainly be trying this remedy! Thanks for passing it on!

3. renee says:

i knew about some of these home remedies but will have to try others. the neti pot is an amazing thing. didn’t know about the garlic – interesting!

thanks for taking the time to post these things!
    renee

4. Katie T says:

so where did Jason get the teapot? so pretty!

5. Jill A says:

I personally eat yogurt with probiotics practically everyday. I usually sweeten it with local honey which does wonders for my allergies and the probiotics have prevented many stomach issues for me for over a year now! I like your home remedies.

• Elizabeth says:

I love yogurt and honey! I did that a lot with some granola for breakfast while I was pregnant. Eating yogurt local to a country is a great way to get your stomach acclimated that culture’s food too.

6. Tilak says:

Thae same four ingredents I am using for my blocked arteries, as I read a paper from some hakim of pakistan.

7. Madhavi says:

Interesting article on home remedies. Wanted to know if the apple cider vinegar should be organic or is synthetic one ok to use? All i could find in the market was the synthetic version.

Thanks

8. Peter says:

I have used Lecitin caps daily. It has kept away kidney stones. Honey sothes about anything. I heard that applecider,ginger and garlic keeps clean and opens arteries.

9. John says:

hi I have Hep C & when my liver starts toget soar I make a drink of applecider vinagar honey & ginger 2 teaspoons honey 1 teaspoons applecider 1/8 teaspoon ginger mixed with filtered water

10. Sorin says:

I’m happy to hear and read about natural home remedies, I rarely resort to chemicals and I really appreciate people like you promoting healthy way of living … thank you for sharing this! Indeed, natural remedies aren’t the best for everything, but they don’t have side effects – as for me, I do avoid as much as possible to take medicines.
    delicious natural foods

11. Mark says:

Make sure you use Apple cider vinegar that has the ‘mother’ in it. It should have stuff floating at the bottom. Most folks do not like the look of it and its processed out of just about all comercial acv. all the health beifits are in the mother.

Also, remember that heating honey and ginger may reduce its benifits as well. Real Honey is really good for you and should have no added sugars.

cinnamon in its raw natural form is also really good for you.

12. Rebecca says:

A tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar (the kind you buy with the “mother” in it (usually I use 2 teaspoons of ACV & 2 teaspoons honey, but when I have sinus congestion/infection, I use a whole tablespoon of each the ACV and the raw, organic honey – the kind you buy at a health food store, not the supermarket syrupy kind!). Drink in 8 ounces purified water with a straw (so the ACV is not in direct contact with your teeth & then brush teeth afterwards. Drink this concoction 3X a day for a week to 2 weeks – about a week after you feel like your sinuses are totally clear – take for an extra week just in case. Your sinuses won’t know what hit them!!