So my coworkers donated some more t-shirts (yay for some colorful ones this time!) to make 13 more caps (for a total of 32) and I also completed 3 receiving blankets for Mama to Mama. I think one more coworker may be bringing in some t-shirts this week so there may be a round three of these caps. . . we will see.
I’m especially happy with how the three receiving blankets turned out. They were made out of the same bedsheets that I made the Anda Dress out of and I was happy to find another good use for that large amount of fabric. I thought I was going to make one side terry cloth and the other side cotton, but the more I thought about it, the more I thought that terry cloth may be too bulky for long term swaddling use so it ended up being double sided of the cotton sheets. It was also very fun to find a use for some of the decorative stitches on my sewing machine. I love the little chains of flowers, row of stars and little leaves that adorn these blankets. I hope that all of these items end up as a blessing for these precious Haitian children and families that are in need.
It’s still not too late to whip up a few of these (they take no time at all) and send them over to Mama to Mama; c/o SouleMama; PO Box 8190; Portland, ME 04104; USA before December 10th.